Thursday, April 22, 2021

Ham Croquettes

HAM CROQUETTES

Originally titled "Ham Croquets". Ingredients and instructions were interlaced, so I've adjusted this from its original format for ease of use.

Croquettes:
3 T butter
¼ cup (32g) flour
¾ cup (175ml) milk
2 cups (500ml) coarsely ground cooked ham
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp prepared mustard
¾ cup (120g) fine dry bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
2 T water

Egg sauce:
2 T butter
2 T flour
¼ tsp salt
dash pepper
1 cup (250ml) milk
1 hard cooked egg

Cook butter, flour, and milk until thick & bubbly. Cook 1 min. Remove from heat. Add ham, onion powder, and mustard. Blend well. Chill well. Shape mixture into 8 to 10 balls. Roll in bread crumbs. Shape into cones handling lightly. Dip into mixture of egg and water. Roll in crumbs again. Fry in deep hot fat (365°F - 185°C) for 1½ to 2 min. Drain.

Egg sauce - Melt butter, blend in flour, salt, and pepper (make a roux). Add milk, cook & stir till thick and bubbly. Add hard cooked egg.


The recipe doesn't say, but I'm guessing the har cooked egg is a mashed hard boiled egg or minced scrambled or fried egg. I'm not sure about the cone shaping, either. I remember the once or twice we had them being round. I'm also unsure about the onion powder. The recipe simply calls for onion, but 1 tsp of diced onion, even practically puréed, is not much, but onion powder would be about right. Let me know what you think.

I am aware that ham is not measured in mililitres, but I could not find a reasonable comparison to grams. Suffice that 2 250ml measuring cups will do.


This blog is documentation of my late grandmother's handwritten recipes, as well as recipes I've come across or made up. There are no photos or images as my grandmother's recipe book didn't have any, except for ones she clipped from magazines, for example.

These recipes are free for all to use. Please enjoy them by yourself, with friends, with family, feeding the hungry, or in whatever way you wish.

God bless you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sausage Rice Casserole

SAUSAGE RICE CASSEROLE Note that Minute Rice (a brand name) is instant rice, which is parboiled rice. You can mostly cook and then drain r...